Front Page Forums Club News Events 2021 Electrofishing Survey in September

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Pat Stout

We are resuming the trout surveys this year and anticipate this happening in September. The exact date is yet to be determined, but most likely will happen in the last 2 weeks of the month like we have done in the past. Simply put, an electrofishing survey is the use of an electrical current to capture fish. In most lake or pond applications an electrofishing vessel producing pulsed direct current (DC) is the best option. When performed carefully and correctly, this process temporarily stuns the fish and allows fisheries biologists to safely collect them. After the fish are netted, they are placed in an insulated livewell which keeps them safe from the electrical field until the survey is complete. Once the appropriate amount of fish are collected, data such as weight, length, species and sex can be gathered, in addition to scale or tissue samples, as needed. Electrofishing is a safe and efficient survey method that allows biologists to obtain a more comprehensive picture of the fishery in order to calculate important metrics. This data, evaluated in conjunction with water quality assessments, fish habitat, and stakeholder goals, provides fisheries biologists with the information needed to develop customized fisheries management plans.

Performing the surveys in September is optimal in that the water is low (with few exceptions), water temperature is cooler, and it gives us a good health check. Many people do not realize it, but the metrics for for the health of the trout have been excellent. And this is in September after 2-3 months of low water, prime time fishing pressure, and some of the hottest weather of the year. This emerging evidence, along with temperature surveys, largely refutes the idea that the low water conditions are entirely detrimental to the trout. Yes, the low water puts the trout at certain risks, especially by the 2-legged predators, but the fishery is thriving. It is a wild trout fishery and subject to risks all year long.

More information to come. If interested, one can tap the subscribe button in the upper right corner and any future updates will be emailed to the member. Any questions, please contact me.

regards,
      pat stout

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Pat Stout

Additional Photos…

Attachments:
        Anonymous

I clicked the subscribe bottom.

I am curious about the numbers of brown trout above the big falls. Have any brown trout ever been found above the big falls during an electrofishing survey?

I am also curious about the number of fish that are 20 inches and longer located below the big falls to Steer Creek. The only remarkably big fish I have ever saw below the big falls to Steer Creek was a channel catfish my cousin caught and released in July of 2015 and the brown trout my dad caught and released on August 3rd 2021. I am sure other people have encountered big fish below the big falls to Steer Creek.

Furthermore, when I was recently fishing above the big falls I was very happy with the number of rainbow trout I saw, as well as the number of big rainbow trout I saw.

Pat Stout

First, we are still looking at a Survey sometime during the week of September 27th.

Kyle, the upper stretch has not had a lot of attention in the past, but this year we do want to sample the Foot Bridge reach (old Davenport property). That appears to have a small population of browns with a 22 inch brown caught 2 years ago. Below the Falls, especially if you snorkel, there are big browns. As I have mentioned, browns are not frequently caught and people have the misconception that they have disappeared or been swept to Trimble’s property, lol. Not so, but you do have to change up your timing and technique as they tend to be night time predators and tough, but not impossible, during the daytime. The Fall is a good time to target browns, but beware the redds.

This year, I have received encouraging reports about 20 inch brown trout being caught below the Falls. That is on average a 6 year old fish.

Pat Stout

Tentatively scheduled for Tuesday September 28th @ 8:30 a.m. Meet at the Flag Pole-Cabin 6.

Myself and NGPC guys all vaccinated. We kindly ask that if you are NOT vaccinated that you DO NOT attend.

Questions? Call me 719-244-7605

regards,
              pat stout

Craiginc
              Participant

Caught two Big Browns (>20″) Above Big Sandy…. Both during Low Water Conditions in Afternoon SunLight in August. Both Hit Big Fly’s (6″ Natural Colored Articulated Fly) Basically, a Single Hook — Musky Fly. I am sure both are still in the Upper Reaches … Almost impossible to Fish without Low Water.

Son Caught a Real Nice — Healthy >20″ Below the Barrels in March …this year.

Last time we were down by Steer Creek… We Caught a Big Fat Zero (O) in 4 Hours of Fishing….

Pat Stout

Thank you for your report. Did you get any photos?

regards,
                  pat

Why don’t we capture some small Brown Trout by electro shocking below the falls, when we are doing this and transport them in aeriated containers above the falls? We could in this way increase the numbers of Brown Trout above the falls without the risk of introducing any disease from stocked fish. I suggest we consider doing this over a five year period and see it that appreciable begins to increase the number of Brown Trout above the Falls.

We could catch some Brown Trout by electro shocking in the vicinity of the barrels, where we could have a 4 Wheeler with aeriated containers on it. These fish could then be relatively quickly transported above the Falls where the fish could be released.

Regards,

Rodney Schwartz

Pat Stout

Hi Rodney,

Yeah, it probably is a good time to have a conversation on the Brown trout above the Falls, especially after all of the improvements. C&R, optimal fall flows, cattle largely off the stream and better habitat due to erosion control are positive factors and why we are hearing of brown trout being caught the last few years, I think. But, that begs the question of whether we want, or need, to “stock” brown trout at this point. And, opinions have been voiced on both sides of the barbed wire fence in the last few years. If the browns are naturally repopulating above, then should we just let mother nature take its course in a wild trout fishery? Do we “need” to augment the repopulation, then? Will fish collected below export over the falls back downstream? Will it negatively alter the rainbow fishery? These are concerns from members that need to be addressed. The survey next week may also help us in assessing the number of browns and class age that is there. Those results, when data compilation is complete, will be forthcoming in a report and posted on the site.

Also, it would be a good time to address member requests that we stock Brook trout in the Snake. I do not think there is a snowball in hell’s chance that it would ever happen, especially if you know anything about brookies. But, we can address it, answer the questions, and move on.

tight lines
                    pat

ps-if you have caught a brown trout above the falls & have a photo, would you please send me a photo? Many thanks.

Pat Stout

Last week, the electroshock survey was completed. There were 4 from the NGPC, myself, Mike & Nanci Adams present. Just a preliminary report pending the final review of data.

A. At The Islands: Phenomenal numbers of trout, both browns & rainbows. Healthy, all class sizes and some sizable trout.

B. At The Barrels: Excellent numbers of trout, both browns & rainbows. Healthy, all class sizes and some sizable trout.

C. Footbridge Reach: Upwards of 100 trout caught, all Rainbow. Essential 2 sizes, young of year or older (large) trout. So. it appears this reach is a nice nursery for YOY with sufficient woody debris to overwinter. Also, it provides several primary holes for big trout to lay low during the low summer month flows. Phenomenal numbers of dace and crawdads, great sustenance for trout. Needless tosay, we missed many YOY as well as some of biggest trout.

Photo(credit M. Adams): Footbridge Reach with Nanci Adams & Rainbow

Attachments:
                    Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.