Snake Falls is located near Valentine, NE.

Forums :: News :: Forest Service Access Changes - READ!!!!

Posted By: Patrick Stout on 12/12/2015
As a landowner bordering the Mckelvie National Forest, I have been informed there are changes in the enforcement policy for off-road motorized vehicles. McKelvie, like all National Foress and Grasslands, has a Travel Management Plan and prescribed roads for use, as well as laws regarding off road use by motorized vehicles. To get to my west fence, there is no road and I have to travel over forest pasture land. With the recent enforcement change, I am required to have a permit or easement to do so, or I risk a ticket (@ $125 a pop, I think). The same applies to the Snake Falls Ranch (SFR) at this time, and Davenport's. There is no legal access to the west side of the ranch through McKelvie Forest by a motorized vehicle and anyone caught will be subject to a fine. Until such time as I can get a permit, I cannot go to my west side. Bill Howes has put paper notices in the cabins. I would warn SFSC members to stay off the west side until such notice it is permissible. McKelvie does have the road map on line.

pat stout

Posted By: Will Bickford on 12/30/2015

The US Forest Service is enforcing a law/regulation governing where driving is permitted on McKelvie National Forest. If you drive over 30' off the established road you are in violation and subject to citation and fine of not less than $125.00 plus costs
in Federal District Court. Therefore, do not drive to the west side of the property to access Steer Creek or any area on the west side of the river. The Board of Directors of the SRPG is working to obtain a permit/easement that will allow access--but until then travel is not recommended. All of our west side gates are over 30' off of established road #602.
Posted By: John & Lezlee Groh on 01/11/2016
Yes, I have read the disclaimer.
Welcome (Please read this disclaimer and accept in order to access the Interactive Travel Map)
This interactive travel map supplements the corresponding motor vehicle use map (MVUM) by displaying on detailed color maps the National Forest System (NFS) roads, NFS trails, and areas on NFS lands that are designated for motor vehicle use on that MVUM, as well as nearby points of interest. The interactive travel map also allows visitors to search for designated roads, trails, and areas by vehicle class and time of year. The interactive travel map does not display designations for motor vehicle use for dispersed camping or big game retrieval. Refer to the applicable MVUM for that information. The interactive travel map does not replace the MVUM, which makes designations of roads, trails, and areas legally effective pursuant to 36 CFR 212.56 and 261.13. Printed copies of the MVUM are available at the corresponding District Ranger's and National Forest or Grassland Supervisor's Offices.
Limitations on Access
Designation of a road, trail, or area should not be interpreted as an invitation to use motor vehicles or as an implication that the road, trail, or area is passable, actively maintained, or safe for travel. Seasonal weather conditions and natural events may render designated roads, trails, and areas impassable for extended periods. Many designated roads, trails, and areas may be passable only by high-clearance or four-wheel drive vehicles. Maintenance of designated roads, trails, and areas will depend on available resources, and many may receive little maintenance.
Operator Responsibilities
Operators of motor vehicles are responsible for obtaining the MVUM corresponding to this interactive travel map and for using motor vehicles in a manner consistent with the MVUM. Operators of motor vehicles are also responsible for compliance with other applicable federal, state, and local law. The designation, "Road or Trail Open to All Motor Vehicles," does not supersede applicable state traffic law.
Much of the NFS is remote. Medical assistance may not be readily available, and cellular telephones do not work in many areas of the NFS. Operators of motor vehicles should take adequate food, water, first aid supplies, and other equipment appropriate for the conditions and expected weather.
It is prohibited to possess or operate a motor vehicle on NFS lands other than in accordance with designations shown on the corresponding MVUM (36 CFR 261.13). Violations of 36 CFR 261.13 are subject to a fine of up to $5,000 or imprisonment for up to 6 months or both (18 U.S.C. 3571(e)). This prohibition applies regardless of the presence or absence of signs displaying designations for motor vehicle use.
Designated roads, trails, and areas may be subject to temporary, emergency closures. Operators of motor vehicles must comply with nearby signs notifying them of these closures, which also will be posted at the corresponding District Ranger's and Forest or Grassland Supervisor's Offices. Operators of motor vehicles should call ahead regarding possible closures, as conditions may have changed since their last visit.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Yes, I have read the disclaimer.

Post your comments below